For this style of mold, I took some existing dice I already had and carefully put pins into corners I selected for easier cleanup of extra resin.   I very carefully heated the sharp tip of a T-Pin up using a candle, and then pushed it into the corner of this D6. Once I was satisfied with the placement of the pin, I clipped off the majority of the pin with wire cutters. This left a short piece of pin sticking out.
 With the small piece of pin sticking out of the corner of the D6, I took a 1oz Dart sampler cup and pressed a small piece of plasticine clay into the bottom like this. Once I let the clay rest (it’s softer when you handle it, and I want it to cool to room temperature and firm up a little more) I carefully placed the D6 (pin side into the clay) into the cup. Once I have done this, I can now gently pour the readied silicone into the cup. Since the D6 is teetering on the clay and the pin is short, I was sure to be careful not to dump all the silicone in at once as this might dislodge the D6 off the clay base.   The wad of clay not only holds the D6 in place, but it will provide a small reservoir of resin in case there is any shrinkage when I go to do the cast.
 This is the resulting cast from the mold. The sprue pops off very easily and I only have to do minor shaving and sanding to even out the slight bulge from the distortion of the pin that was pushed into the plastic of the D6.  This method has been very helpful to me, as it greatly reduces the amount of time I need to invest in cleaning sprues off the cast dice.
prev / next